• Friday 24 June 2011

      Being Negative

      I amuses me and irritates me at the same how I keep finding so much negative comments about careers, professions and the industry.

      Here is an article I read:
      http://www.theaveragegamer.com/2011/06/24/friday-feature-you-dont-want-to-work-in-the-games-industry/
      It is basically about a game developer who has experienced the gaming industry and warns people not to get into the gaming industry and complaint about a lot of things.

      I seriously do not get people. If you love something with all your heart however you are forced to make sacrifice or suffer from doing that job, there's no need to complain.
      This is life, life is always unfair and we can never get exactly the things we want!
      If you enjoy something at a moment, someone else will suffer in that same process. It all works like Ying and Yang.

      If you check the comment section in that article, you'd see me blasting away the author. I had seen articles about people complaining about being a Games Journalist- less pay and more hours. So what? in any career you get into you will always be forced to get a decent salary pay and work extra hours.

      These people who complain about these things are greedy and are not MAN enough to work! Back in one of my past jobs as I worked as a Sales Assistant for a retail store. I would work 4 hours a day but 4 hours is a chicken job for me man. I am a man and I want more hours, I want to work 7-10+ hours a day.
      Sometimes I would fark myself up and will not get enough sleep which makes it difficult for me to work hard the next day. So what, that is my problem!
      I will always remain diligence to the company I work for because I am grateful they employeed me and not the next guy. When I worked at the store I was actually one of the best in the team, I was considered the manager's favorite and you know how that works; people will always be jealous. I would get phone calls asking me if I wanna work more hours and I would say yes.
      Why was I the manager's favourite? because I worked harder than anybody else, I abide by the rules and I was different than others.

      When I get into the games industry I would soon write about my past life and shitty jobs I've done that these kinds of people complain but had never done before. Life is hard and difficult, when you hear about immigrants coming to a country; the managers will employ them because those people are very hard workers. They need money to survive therefore they work their butt off and yes it will eat them inside for the labour work they are doing however they are doing it to survive.

      And then on the other said you have pansies who complain about low hour and long hour for doing a JOB they love. They should be grateful they got into a company because they have no idea just how many people are looking for work. The gaming industry is sort of collapsing with the constant lay offs and companies closing down. This will make it INCREDIBLY difficult for fresh starters to get a job; employer will hire the more experienced one who was laid off his other job. And the f**g idiot will be complaining about long hours and short pay.


      How much exactly is the short pay? how short is it?
      listen man, in my life £7 is the highest I've ever worked for and that is A LOT! If I was to work £9 or above, I would be a rich man. These complainers signed the contract to work for this amount and months later they complain about short pay.
      They buy so much sh* in the house, things they do not need that makes them desperate for more money.

      You know when I was working for that retail company; we were not allowed to talk about how much we got paid to staffs or disciplinary action will occur. It's because a lot of people who were hired earlier were getting paid £5 while new workers hired are getting paid £6 (such as myself). Why complain or moan? leave the job if you hate the pay, you don't tell people not to get into that industry because of your shitty experience.

      It's incredible man, people do not know much about life.
      This is an interesting comment from the above article:
      How would you feel after 5 years when you find out that someone else with 4 years less experience than you, doing a lesser job at your company is getting paid a lot more than you?

      I actually read the bible (i think it was months ago), it was about Jesus telling another parable.

      Matt 20:1-16  "For the Kingdom of Heaven is like a man who was the master of a household, who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard.  When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. He went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace. To them he said, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ So they went their way. Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did likewise. About the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle. He said to them, ‘Why do you stand here all day idle?’ "They said to him, ‘Because no one has hired us.’ "He said to them, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and you will receive whatever is right.’ When evening had come, the lord of the vineyard said to his steward, ‘Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning from the last to the first.’ "When those who were hired at about the eleventh hour came, they each received a denarius.  When the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise each received a denarius. When they received it, they murmured against the master of the household, saying, ‘These last have spent one hour, and you have made them equal to us, who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat!’ "But he answered one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Didn’t you agree with me for a denarius? Take that which is yours, and go your way. It is my desire to give to this last just as much as to you. Isn’t it lawful for me to do what I want to with what I own? Or is your eye evil, because I am good?’ So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few are chosen." 
      A parable about workers working in the vineyard. The manager recruited people from the streets to come farm his corps. He said to the first guys "I will pay you the full amount for a day". He said to the second workers "I will pay you whatever for a day". He said to the third worker "work at my vineyard and get paid whatever it is right". Mind you the third last workers where hired just mere hours before the day finishes while the second workers where hired  during half the day.
      Finally when they got paid the ones who worked early hours complained about the ones who worked less hour getting paid for working less.

      How greedy can a man be? these people agreed to the developer the pay they would get so why should it be their concern to someone lesser than them getting more pay?
      "life is always unfair".
      In fact that parable doesn't even relates to equality in work place, it was merely talking about who enters the kingdom of heaven  no matter how much you worked hard.


      As I was trying to relate people complaining about being a games journalist to video game developers. I am sure many of you have heard of Hip Hop Gamer. I helped create the introduction for his 2011 Hip Hop Gamer Show. The man is VERY VERY passionate about his job. A man who started from scratch and finally turning into a well recognised games journalist across the internet. Wasn't it how Lord Sugar, Richard Branson and others began? They started from nothing and worked their way up to become who they are today.
      You can see how excited he gets when he goes to E3, Gamescom, PAX and all these other places. Yet you have other games journalist who complain about low pay, long hours but never appreciate the meat package which is getting exclusive interviews, exclusive press conference, conventions and exclusive gameplay experience.


      If anybody complains about the work they do, take Nike's advice:
      "Quit your job", and stop complaining!

      Life is unfair, some people will get into a field others crave for so badly. They worked hard for it and others get that field role luckily.
      I recently applied for a Manager position for a job and if I do get that job, I would be applaud! Even though deep down in my heart I feel like I cannot get the job because it is too good for me.

      When I look at Team NINJA, those guys are incredible hardworkers in fact Japanese devs are hard workers! People in US are complaining about working long hours in other to ship a game by Christmas. Team NINJA would work on 2 projects in a year! I was also reading about the director of Ninja Blade who said he would get 4 hours sleep, be at work at 10am, get power sleep for 10mins, work hard etc (as that is how the day repeats). Me I dunno how the hell he sleeps for 4 hours O_o.


      Here is a video one of the complainers linked to
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw
      You can see the amount of negative comments from the Yellow robot.
      When I was working in the Sales and Marketing, being negative is out of the option because it discourages.
      If you know much about Positive and Negative, you would notice the guy who made the video is full of shit!
      The brown robot was giving all positive excuses and empowerments why he wants to work in the gaming industry and the yellow robot kept coming up with negative replies.


      I really wish more developers, designers and directors speak more about the working condition and passion in the gaming industry. To really shut up all these negative people and complainers. We need their insight to their "own" experience and opinion about working in the gaming industry.
      Not by a lazy gamer who has NO passion for gamers, not man enough to work very hard for little pay and complains about working in the industry. No appreciation to show the developer hired him for the job role and not the next guy.

      1 comments:

      Yea I understand what you mean, but I have read a lot of articles saying that the hours are brutal and its a very demanding work field. So I guess its ok to be negative about it sometimes.

      But negativity brings down alot of people, people should strive to be more optimistic about things. Not try and find the worst in everything.

      Post a Comment

      Subscribe To RSS

      Sign up to receive latest news